Princess Kate Middleton announced she’s been diagnosed with cancer in a video message.

The Princess of Wales, 42, has been undergoing preventative chemotherapy treatment after a planned abdominal surgery showed “cancer had been present.” Kate did not elaborate on the form or extent of the cancer in her video.

Middleton gave the update on her health Friday after undergoing major surgery earlier this year.

King Charles III said he is “so proud of Catherine for her courage in speaking as she did,” according to a statement released by Buckingham Palace. He has kept in the “closest contact with his beloved daughter-in-law” during this time.

KATE MIDDLETON PLANNING COMEBACK TO SHUT DOWN CONSPIRACY THEORIES: EXPERT

“I wanted to take this opportunity to say thank you, personally, for all the wonderful messages of support and for your understanding whilst I have been recovering from surgery,” Middleton said in the video recorded Wednesday.

“It has been an incredibly tough couple of months for our entire family, but I’ve had a fantastic medical team who have taken great care of me, for which I am so grateful.”

The Princess of Wales explained that after her abdominal surgery, it was believed her condition was “non-cancerous.” However, further testing showed “cancer had been present.” Middleton was advised to begin chemotherapy by her medical team.

“This of course came as a huge shock, and William and I have been doing everything we can to process and manage this privately for the sake of our young family,” she continued. “As you can imagine, this has taken time. It has taken me time to recover from major surgery in order to start my treatment. But, most importantly, it has taken us time to explain everything to George, Charlotte and Louis in a way that is appropriate for them, and to reassure them that I am going to be ok.”

“As I have said to them; I am well and getting stronger every day by focusing on the things that will help me heal; in my mind, body and spirits,” Middleton added. “Having William by my side is a great source of comfort and reassurance too. As is the love, support and kindness that has been shown by so many of you. It means so much to us both.”

The princess asked for privacy as she completes treatment.

“We hope that you will understand that, as a family, we now need some time, space and privacy while I complete my treatment,” she noted. “My work has always brought me a deep sense of joy and I look forward to being back when I am able, but for now I must focus on making a full recovery. At this time, I am also thinking of all those whose lives have been affected by cancer. For everyone facing this disease, in whatever form, please do not lose faith or hope. You are not alone.”

LIKE WHAT YOU’RE READING? CLICK HERE FOR MORE ENTERTAINMENT NEWS

Kensington Palace confirmed to Fox News Digital on Thursday that Middleton had been working from home during her recovery. She was being kept up to date regarding the Royal Foundation Centre for Early Childhood’s trial of an observation tool for child development.

The Princess of Wales has remained out of the public eye since Dec. 25. Buckingham Palace later revealed Middleton had been admitted to a hospital for a planned abdominal surgery on Jan. 17. Since then, she has only been spotted a handful of times, sparking speculation about her whereabouts.

Middleton was most recently spotted walking through the Windsor Farm Shop nearly three months after her last official royal outing.

LIKE WHAT YOU’RE READING? CLICK HERE FOR MORE ENTERTAINMENT NEWS

On Mother’s Day in the U.K., Middleton shared a photo featuring her three children with Prince William – Prince George, Prince Louis and Princess Charlotte. The picture quickly became news as it was likely intended to quell speculation about the princess. However, Middleton’s photo only fueled speculation about her health and whereabouts when it came to light that the image had been altered.

Middleton later apologized on Instagram, writing: “Like many amateur photographers, I do occasionally experiment with editing. I wanted to express my apologies for any confusion the family photograph we shared yesterday caused.”

“We don’t have anything to add,” the palace told Fox News Digital when asked for comments about the digitally altered photo.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.